Saturday, February 2, 2008

Ready...Set...

Well, folks, tomorrow at this time, I will, God willing, have completed my first half marathon. This week's tappered schedule was nice--I ran 4 miles at the gym on Tuesday, 3 miles on Wednesday, and 2 miles today (I was supposed to run the 2 miles on Thursday, but I started teaching again and didn't feel like going after that and then I was just plain lazy on Friday). During my pre-training, I ran 46 miles and during my "real" training, I ran 115.5 miles for a total of 161.5 miles since mid-October. Not a whole lot (especially compared to my full marathon training), but too shabby either.

After my light run today I went to the Active Lifestyle Expo in Huntington Beach to pick up my bib (5090), race shirt, and other goodies. I bought a power bar and gel packet for tomorrow. I also listened to the guy speak who made the movie, Spirit of the Marathon, which I totally want to see (the DVD will be coming out this summer). It was sunny down by the beach and the temperature was warm. Tomorrow, though, is not looking so good. It's supposed to be cool, rainy, and windy. Ug! Rain or shine though, the race must go on.

I already ate my pre-race pasta meal. The race shirt that I picked up today is a dry-fit long sleeve shirt and I'll probably wear that tomorrow with pants, since it's supposed to be so cold (well, cold for Cali). Tomorrow is going to be a hat day, not a sunglass day. I figure I'll have to get up around 5:15am tomorrow so that I'm awake, parked, and at the start line well before the official starting time (for me) at 7:47am. I should be done with the race around 9:45am. My realistic goal is to finish in 2:15, but my ultimate goal is to finish in 1:59:59 (under two hours!). If the weather is not cooperating tomorrow, I imagine many people's times will be a bit slower than normal.

So...here goes...13.1...I'll report back tomorrow with my results!

No comments: