Sunday, December 30, 2007

My Bologna Tastes Better Than Your Bologna

Happy Holidays All! I'm in Ohio right now, enjoying the holidays with my family. Ohio is different from Southern California in almost every way possible. I might as well be on Mars because Mars is about as different from California as Ohio is. Right now I am sitting in an old farmhouse that is surrounded by acres and acres of plowed cornfields. There is no trash pick up here, no cable TV, and no dishwasher; however, there is an indoor toilet, which is an improvement over where I spent a few nights last week--at our cabin in the woods of Western New York.


[Carrie in Ohio...need I say more?]

One of the biggest and most burdensome differences between the OC and Northwest Ohio is that Cali is warm and Ohio is cold! There is no possible way I would be able to run a half/marathon if I had to train in Ohio. It's flat as a pancake here, but running outside is just brutal. So, I haven't ventured out yet. My mom got a free treadmill from a couple who was foreclosing on their house, so I ran a mile on it the other day, but that's all I ran because I was contracting the cold my sister brought back with her from Colorado.

When I was in NY I went skiing, but since they only have hills there, and not mountains, I didn't really get all that great of a workout. I am going to try (no promises!) to go outside and run this week...arg. Another problem with running outside here is that there is nothing (seriously, nothing!) for miles and miles and miles so basically I just have to run down the same road forever with only dead cornfields to look at. It's very depressing and not motivating at all.

So, when I have been not running, I have been bonding with my family, which so far has included Christmas dinner, movies, and visiting our Amish neighbors in New York. The topics at Christmas dinner this year were especially interesting and included discussions about which local butcher makes the best tasting bologna and which local county fair has the highest number of broiler chickens on show each year.

2 comments:

Diane said...

Hi Carrie from your 'hick' mom. I am so happy that we had time to spend together in Ohio over the Christmas holiday. I must comment on your lament over your country roots. I DO live in an old farmhouse with NO cable TV or dishwasher. However, I DO have a satelite and two hands. Ohio IS flat thanks to ancient glaciers receeding and it does have 4 - count'em 4 seasons each with a distinct beauty and climate. Everyone chooses where to live - be proud of where your history is and enjoy where your present is.
Love, MOM

Carrie said...

I AM proud of where I am from, Mom, and I wasn't saying anything negative about Ohio. I was just commenting on how different it is from Calfornia. I don't care that there is no cable TV or dishwasher; I was just illustrating the "rustic" side of life in the country in Ohio. And, finally, I never ever said that you were a "hick" or implied that Ohio was hick-ish. I love going home to you and your house and I'm glad that I can say that I am "from" Ohio.